Accident Risk Factors in the Home

Accident Risk Factors

Accidents are bound to happen in the home. In fact, most of the home accidents occur when no one expects them. One is simply fixing the yard when they stumble and fall on a sharp object. If it is no fault of your own, you have the chance to enlist the services of a Phoenix accident lawyer to obtain compensation for your injuries. However, safety begins with you. Among the accident risk factors in a home are;

Scalds and Burns

Scalds and burns occur when we come into contact with objects that are hotter than we can handle. That includes iron boxes, steam, hot water, soldering iron and many others. To stay safe from such situations, follow these tips;

  • Always use the recommended heating calibration of your electronic equipment. That calibration will keep it safe for use.
  • Never carry a child while cooking. Even carrying them on the back can be risky at times. Have a chair for the kid and cook as they sit at a safe distance from risk areas.
  • Keep the items that easily catch fire such as papers and gasoline away from the reach of kids and fires.
  • Kids will always tend to reach out to objects on the edges of tables and other elevated places. Keep them a safe distance from the edges to keep your kids safe. Don’t let them pull a whole jug of hot water over themselves.

Batteries

Batteries pose a run to the children and even adults. Many items in the home use batteries and they include the TV remote, car key fob, calculators and others. You should take the following precautions to keep the home safe when using batteries;

  • Keep little batteries (and even big ones) away from children by locking them in drawers or placing tape over the battery drawers on devices.
  • Keep the batteries away from open sights as kids may swallow the coin-sized batteries.
  • Ensure everyone in the home is aware of the safety precautions about batteries. Caregivers should be very careful since the child swallowing a battery will risk their lives.
  • Whenever a child swallows a battery, the first step should be taking him or her to the hospital. Most people make the mistake of inducing vomiting or forcing the kid to eat food. Always go to the nearest health facility as they know how to remove the battery without harming the kid.

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide is often the result of fires burning without enough oxygen in the air to form carbon dioxide. Items such as gas burners, cars and even heaters are all likely to emit carbon monoxide when in poorly aerated conditions. To keep the home safe from carbon monoxide poisoning, do the following;

  • Install carbon monoxide detectors. These little alarms should be installed on every level in the building for the best safety precautions. They should not be mistaken for smoke alarms and the two should be installed side by side.
  • Avoid using items such as grills inside your home as they lead to increased risks of carbon monoxide poisoning. Always take them outdoors for the best results.
  • When you turn on the engine of a car or motorcycle, always make sure you take it outdoors as the engine runs. The garage is not a safe place for that.
    It is easy to note that most risk factors are activities we can easily ignore. For example, warming a car in the garage for a few minutes may seem like a harmless activity yet has a high risk of poisoning the users with carbon monoxide. The tips given here will keep your home safe at all times.

Related posts

Leave a Comment